Published on January 25th, 2013 | by Hale Yeah0
Top Ten Universally-Shared Moments in a Derby Skater’s Career
10. The first time you see an apex jump and equate it to the mystical flying of Falcor from The Neverending Story.
9. Breaking in new skates – and realizing the phrase should be “breaking in your feet” or “breaking your feet” or “I will never have pretty toes again..”
8. Completing your 25 in 5 and only being able to smile as big as can be … because words requires breath, and all of your oxygen is being stolen away by your crying, whimpering muscles right now.
7. In your rookie year, wearing something in a bout that you think will look bad ass and hot … and years later laughing and wondering what you were thinking.
6. Meeting your derby hero/heroine, being awed and five minutes later having no clue what you said, but feeling like you’re on cloud nine for the rest of the night.
5. Watching junior roller derby for the first time and crossing off baby pandas as the cutest things you’ve ever seen.
4. The moment your friends start asking you to hang out with the addition of “…or do you have derby?”
3. Losing a bout, but going out and winning the after party “like a boss”.
2. Going to your first tournament / invitational and wanting life to be like this always.
1. Being at a game, a practice, a store, a clinic, or a party and realizing you wouldn’t be the person you are today if not for derby.
Latest posts by Hale Yeah (see all)
- Top Ten Tips for Attending the B&T Roller Derby World Cup - December 3, 2014
- World Cup Retrospective: Team USA’s Varla Vendetta - July 5, 2014
- World Cup Retrospective: Team USA’s Buster Cheatin - June 27, 2014