Published on June 4th, 2012 | by BioniKate0
Skater On Skater: Bionikate Interviews Jewel Suffer
We have a brand spankin’ new league from Ireland, folks! I’m so excited to draw your love and attention across the pond to the Limerick Roller Girls. They are nearing on their one year mark and are recruiting and training hard!! Check them out!
Name: Jewel Suffer
1. What league(s) are you/have you been affiliated with?
Limerick Roller Girls
2. How long have you been skating (derby)?
I joined Limerick Roller Girls in April 2011 but didn’t get my skates til may, so 8 months
3. How did you discover roller derby?
I saw a Facebook page for Limerick Roller Girls. They were trying to set up a club in our area and were looking for members to join. I didn’t know what it was at all but thought it might just be girls in retro clothes dancing around trying to look cool in skates and so had to google it to find out. I got some surprise when I saw YouTube clips of it. I thought I could never do that but then over the following days I couldn’t stop looking up more clips and couldn’t stop thinking about it so took the plunge and sent email to the girls. The next day I handed over the money to order my skates!!!
4. List your most notable derby injuries?
I’ve been very lucky and have not sustained any serious injuries to date, touch wood. I did skate one day in the skate park when I was missing one elbow pad. Thought to myself I never fall on my elbows. Then a tiny stone got jammed in one of my wheels and down I went. I still can’t comfortably lean on that elbow and that was 5 months ago.
5. What was/is your oddest non-derby injury?
I drank too much wine once and slept funny on my neck. Woke up in excruciating pain and my head was turned the the right. Couldn’t straighten it at all. Had to get help to lay down at night as it was too painful to use neck muscles to lower my head onto pillow. It still flares up now years later.
6. How did you select your derby name and number?
I wanted a name that was a play on words but didn’t want anything that was too rude or too sexy. Just like the ring of Jewel Suffer. As for my number I really didn’t know what number to pick and then one day I read on a website one day that 10.33 was police code for bomb threat and I figured as I work in airport security that was kinda appropriate.
7. When not being a derby badass, what do you do for work (company can be kept anonymous)?
I work in Cork Airport as a member of the airport search unit.
8. What are some derby names that you find particularlyfunny/clever?
I love Tackle Me Elmo!
9. What is your non-derby first name?
10. If you could have chosen your own non-derby name, what would it be?
God I don’t know, have never thought about that to be honest
11. What are your non-derby hobbies/activities/hidden talents?
Apparently I have quite good people skills. I used to play piano and occaisionally I like to mess about with poi spinning(still only learning though)
12. Do you collect anything, if so, what/why?
I used to keep all the birthday cards I’ve gotten since I was born but stopped doing that a few years back. Thinking it might be time to start collecting derby t shirts though!
13. What was your favorite Holiday or Birthday present received as a kid?
I got the ‘operation’ board game! I loved it!
14. Who was the object of your most embarrassing teenage celebrity obsession?
Don’t think i had any embarrassing ones. I had a huge Dave Grohl crush but i still do and that’s not embarrassing!
15. Which celebrity would you like to be friends with?
Duh, Dave Grohl obviously! LOL
16. Do you haveTattoos? What, where, and why?
Yes, I have an orchid with a sort of tribal design around in on my hip (I was 18 when i got it done so my taste was a bit crap then), I have a chaos symbol at the top of my back, got that cause I liked how it looks and also if you saw my bedroom hound realise it suits me! I have 3 swirly stars at the base of my back, again just like how it looked. Got a buddhist sak yang style tattoo in the middle of my back. For that done in Thailand in the traditional bamboo hand poke style. Thought it would be a nice reminder of my trip. Got a cherry blosom tree up my right side, got that done in Iceland as a souvenir of my trip there. And my latest addition is my beautiful kickass derby girl with some old school roses around here and I script with my derby name on it. She’s even got my number written on her arm. Still not finished, will be getting colour done on her soon.
17. What is something that most people don’t know, or would never guess about you?
I’m afraid of heights.
18. What movie(s )can you watch over and over and never get sick of?
Its not strictly a movie but I love watching ‘Stop Making Sense’ by the Talking Heads.
19. I can’t leave the house without…?
20. What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
A very nice meatloaf that my boyfriend made. And some yogurts that probably need to be thrown out! As well as the usual staples milk, butter, eggs, cheese.
21. What is your most over-used word or phrase?
‘Emm what was I gonna say’
22. What is the last book you’ve read?
Down and Derby
23. Very first set of wheels?
As in for skates or first car?
The first wheels I skated on we’re the radar caymens that came with my skates. First set I bought were pink radar tuners. My first car was a crappy Fiat Cinquecento.
24. What is the biggest life hurdle that you have overcome?
Losing my mother at 16.
25. List 3 things that you plan to accomplish in 2012?
I plan to manage my time and money, or lack thereof, better
I plan to train very hard and become an excellent derby skater.
I plan to have a nice relaxing holiday
Latest posts by BioniKate (see all)
- Off-skates Workout Bionikate Style! - July 11, 2012
- Skater On Skater: Bionikate Interviews Jewel Suffer - June 4, 2012
- Aunt Bionikate’s Guide Part Three - February 8, 2012