Published on February 1st, 2012 | by BioniKate0
Skater On Skater: Bionikate Interviews Hex Kitten
This post is taking us down to Greenville, South Carolina; home of the Greenville Derby Dames!! A high-five of respect to my Southern sisters, because I kind of am one now. (Even though I’m technically a Northerner, I’ve been adopted into the club because I can say “y’all” without thinking about it.) I have so much respect for Hex Kitten who was a derby pioneer in her town! So much love you to girls who have worked so hard at building the leagues up to where they are today. I’m also declaring myself, right now, to be a life-long Hex Kitten fan because we just bonded through Twitter over our mutual love for Barry Pepper. (Be still my heart!)
Name: Hex Kitten
1. What league(s) are you/have you been affiliated with?
Reedy River Rollergirls* (Founder 2006, dissolved since 2008)
Upstate Roller Girl Evolution (2008-2010)
Greenville Derby Dames (2011-Present)
2. How long have you been skating (derby)?
I started skating derby in 2006, started from the ground up and had to beg friends to start skating with me. When we finally got some press more girls showed up – thus roller derby in Greenville was born.
3. How did you discover roller derby?
My husbands friend from middle/high school showed up at our wedding with a busted leg that she said she got from roller derby. She sung its praises while dancing with a cast on – I had to find out what it was all about.
4. List your notable derby injuries…
Sitting on my own skate.
Breaking my finger.
Having my knee scoped.
5. What was/is your oddest non-derby injury?
I tore my ACL in high-school being a jack-ass with friends. Glad I got that injury out of the way before derby!
6. How did you select your derby name and number?
I had a different name when I started skating – it was such a mouth full and none of my family liked it. I was watching a Sabrina the Teenage Witch episode when Helda, called Zelda “Hex Kitten” and I was like “THAT’S IT!!”. Luckily it had been retired on the names database and I’ve had it ever since.
7. When not being a derby badass, what do you do for work (company can be kept anonymous)?
I am a supervisor in a contracts department for a huge medical distribution company.
8. What are some derby names that you find particularly funny/clever?
Honestly there are far too many out there that make me giggle, several of which might be considered inappropriate.
9. What is your non-derby first name?
10. If you could have chosen your own non-derby name, what would it be?
Collette, something delicate and pretty.
11. What are your non-derby hobbies/activities/hidden talents?
Reading. Cooking. Baking. Drawing. Spending time with my daughter.
12. Do you collect anything, if so, what/why?
Antique tea cups. They’re pretty.
13. What was your favorite Christmas or Birthday present received as a kid?
My own computer.
14. Who was the object of your most embarrassing teenage celebrity obsession?
15. Which celebrity would you like to be friends with?
16. Do you have Tattoos? What, where, and why?
Yes I have a nautical star over my heart chakra on my back. I have my daughters name on my left ankle. A sleeve of cherry blossoms (feminine strength) and peacock feathers (intelligence) on my upper right arm. I have stars on my left wrist for each year my husband and I have been married and I recently added my daughters birth date in roman numerals to my right wrist. I’m getting my derby name on my right side this year as well. I never get a tattoo unless it has deep meaning and significance to me.
17. What is something that most people don’t know, or would never guess about you?
I’m terrified of talking on the phone. LOL.
18. What movie(s) can you watch over and over and never get sick of?
Harry Potter Movies
19. I can’t leave the house without…?
My wallet, phone and ipod.
20. What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
Beer and cheese.
21. What is your most over-used word or phrase?
Nice. Awesome. Dude. Man. – I use these when I feel awkward in a social setting.
22. What is the last book you’ve read?
The Girl Who Played with Fire
23. Very first set of wheels?
Radar narrow Flat-Outs
24. What is the biggest life hurdle that you have overcome?
My self-sabotaging nature. I’ve had to learn to get out of my own way.
25. List 3 things that you plan to accomplish in 2012?
I would like:
The Greenville Derby Dames to get accepted into full fledge WTFDA membership by the end of the year.
To improve on my weakest areas like jamming.
To improve on my personal bests.
Latest posts by BioniKate (see all)
- Off-skates Workout Bionikate Style! - July 11, 2012
- Skater On Skater: Bionikate Interviews Jewel Suffer - June 4, 2012
- Aunt Bionikate’s Guide Part Three - February 8, 2012