Published on January 19th, 2012 | by BioniKate0
Skater On Skater: Bionikate Interviews Lisbeth Slammed-her
Just to re-cap… I’ve sent out some random derby and non-derby interview questions to various skaters in leagues around the globe. Our sport is comprised of some of the most diverse and fascinating individuals and my goal is to show them some lovin’, pry into their lives a bit, and bring this growing derby world a little closer together. Continuing on…
Lisbeth Slammed-her is a fellow derby blogger and skating badass from Australia. She’s a regular contributor for http://rollerderbyau.net, and her blog, http://klobutruck.blogspot.com, is full of tips and relateable info for those just starting derby and those trying to heal from injuries. Check out her work!!
Name: Lisbeth Slammed-her
1. What league(s) are you/have you been affiliated with?
I started off with Western Sydney Rollers (WSR) but switched to Hawkesbury/Hills Area Roller Derby (HARD) as the training was closer to home.
2. How long have you been skating (derby)?
I started skating November 2010 but a large chunk of that time has been swallowed up by injuries.
3. How did you discover roller derby?
Like most people I first heard about derby from watching Whip It. I watched my first bout in October 2010 which was the Western Sydney Rollers against Newcastle Roller Derby League and got completely hooked and made the decision there and then that I was going to play derby!
4. List your most notable derby injuries?
I’ve injured both my ankles twice, the last ankle injury kept me off skates for two months. I’ve injured both my left and right knee’s too. Of course there’s the obligatory busted arse injury too. Whoever says you have more padding by having a bigger arse is clearly lying because it still hurts like hell!
5. What was/is your oddest non-derby injury?
When I used to play football (soccer) a few of my teams mates decided that we would do the whole knee sliding celebration if we scored. Well we scored and when I slid on my knees I felt the most intense pain in both my knees that I couldn’t get up for a few seconds because they were hurting so much. Stupid me thought maybe I did it incorrectly the first time so when we scored again I slid on my knees and felt the same pain all over again. My knee problems started from that.
6. How did you select your derby name and number?
My derby name Lisbeth Slammed-her is inspired by the awesome Lisbeth Salander from The girl with the dragon tattoo and its sequels. 33 is the number I had when I played indoor soccer. I liked it so much that I carried it over to derby.
7. When not being a derby badass, what do you do for work (company can be kept anonymous)?
For my full time job I do internal sales for a company that supplies goods to the electrical wholesale industry. I work a second job as an all rounder for an Italian pizza restaurant.
8. What are some derby names that you find particularly funny/clever?
Reggie Ramjet, Punkie BrawlSTAR, Stockard Slamming, Trippy Longstocking.
9. What is your non-derby first name?
10. If you could have chosen your own non-derby name, what would it be?
11. What are your non-derby hobbies/activities/hidden talents?
I love reading, watching foreign films or films with an interesting storyline, playing pool, and going to gigs.
12. Do you collect anything, if so, what/why?
Bad taste bears figurines, they’re wicked and hilarious!
13. What was your favorite Christmas or Birthday present received as a kid?
My first ever Liverpool FC kit that my parents bought me for my birthday. I’ve still got it even though it’s too small for me to wear.
14. Who was the object of your most embarrassing teenage celebrity obsession?
Most probably Hanson….MMM Bop haha
15. Which celebrity would you like to be friends with?
16. Do you have Tattoos? What, where, and why?
I’ve got a drawing from the first Crow movie on my lower back. There’s a line in the movie that goes ‘if the people we love are taken away from us, one way to have them live on is to never stop loving them’, so I got that one in memory of an uncle who was killed in a car accident.
I’ve got 3 stars on each ankle mainly because I liked the design.
I’ve got the number 33 on my left wrist because it’s my favourite number and I’ve used it for indoor soccer and now roller derby.
I’ve got a flock of birds on my left arm just underneath my elbow. There’s 8 of them which are coloured in black, each one represents a member of my family.
Lastly I’ve got the Shankly gates running from one shoulder blade to the other. That was to mark 20 years of me being a Liverpool supporter.
17. What is something that most people don’t know, or would never guess about you?
Despite being a massive tomboy I am a complete sucker for a good rom-com movie.
18. What movie(s) can you watch over and over and never get sick of?
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and the sequels, Love Actually, White Chicks, and Black Cat, White Cat.
19. I can’t leave the house without…?
20. What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
Veggies, alcohol and a whole lot of condiments.
21. What is your most over-used word or phrase?
Sweet, cheers or that’s ace. All 3 get a good workout!
22. What is the last book you’ve read?
One Day by David Nicholls
23. Very first set of wheels?
A Malvern Star bicycle for my birthday
24. What is the biggest life hurdle that you have overcome?
It’s one I’m still trying to overcome, I’m extremely shy to the point I sometimes start stuttering.
25. List 3 things that you plan to accomplish in 2012?
1. Complete the Warrior Dash race on my first attempt
2. Bout by my birthday in October
3. Head overseas to Liverpool for my birthday
Latest posts by BioniKate (see all)
- Off-skates Workout Bionikate Style! - July 11, 2012
- Skater On Skater: Bionikate Interviews Jewel Suffer - June 4, 2012
- Aunt Bionikate’s Guide Part Three - February 8, 2012