Published on January 6th, 2012 | by BioniKate0
Skater On Skater: Bionikate Interviews Hello, Sailor
I’ve come up with a list of 25 questions and initially sent it out to a small group of skater friends and acquaintances from several different leagues around the globe. Then I’ve asked these skaters to refer me to some of their skater friends and acquaintances so we can get a wide variety going. The goal here is to make the growing derby world feel a little more intimate and to give props to various not-as-well-known skaters who’ve worked hard to make derby what it is today. Also, it’s fun to read random interviews! So I hope you enjoy it…
The first to reply is the first to be featured!
I met Hello, Sailor briefly when she stopped by Nashville’s rec league practice while in town on business. When we met, it was only my 3rd practice ever and I was really shaky, but she threw out some much needed encouragement! She’s a good woman, this one!
Name: Hello, Sailor
1. What league(s) are you/have you been affiliated with?
Mad Wreckin’ Dolls
Mad Rolln’ Dolls
2. How long have you been skating (derby)?
I was drafted September 2010, so about 1 ½ years with MRD. (Started March 2010 with Wreckers, so almost two years total.)
3. How did you discover roller derby?
When I started at my work, a big contract that went confirmed was for WFTDA’s 2008 Eastern Championships in Madison, Wis. I thought we were booking some kind of speed-skating tournament. I didn’t attend any of the bouts and forgot about it until 2010 when I heard about the movie “Whip It.” I figured I should watch it to see what all the hubbub was about. After watching the movie, I knew I HAD to go watch the Mad Rollin’ Dolls live. There was a sign-up at the bout for a newly forming rec league, so I added my name to the email list and it was all downhill from there!
4. List your most notable derby injuries?
Knees! Sprained the left during regionals and am now nursing my right from a yet undetermined injury.
5. What was/is your oddest non-derby injury?
When I was five, I was jumping up and down on my aunt’s bed while she was doing homework and I jumped right onto a sharp pencil. It pierced my foot and basically hobbled me. I couldn’t wear shoes for awhile.
6. How did you select your derby name and number?
I’m Asian and wanted to go with “Me Love You Long Time” but shorter and more direct. My number is 847 – it is the area code for the Northwest suburbs of Chicago where I grew up.
7. When not being a derby badass, what do you do for work (company can be kept anonymous)?
I am a research manager in the travel and tourism industry.
8. What are some derby names that you find particularly funny/clever?
I like my alternate Halloween derby name: Jackie O’Lantern. When I captained a team during our Halloween expo bout, I got to be called Cap’n Jack.
9. What is your non-derby first name?
10. If you could have chosen your own non-derby name, what would it be?
11. What are your non-derby hobbies/activities/hidden talents?
Lots of reading – I’m seriously addicted to my Kindle. I’m also working on doing various projects on my new sewing machine. I’d also call my hyper-organization a hobby, activity and hidden talent all rolled up.
12. Do you collect anything, if so, what/why?
Not really. I’ve gotten better at controlling my hoarding tendencies.
13. What was your favorite Christmas or Birthday present received as a kid?
Playstation and Final Fantasy VII (wasn’t a kid per se when I got this, but really, really loved it)
14. Who was the object of your most embarrassing teenage celebrity obsession?
Devon Sawa. I liked his hair.
15. Which celebrity would you like to be friends with?
16. Do you have Tattoos? What, where, and why?
Yes. The symbol of the Unholy Rollers (my home team) with bat wings on my right shoulder. The Unholies mean a lot to me, and I am grateful that they took a chance and drafted me.
17. What is something that most people don’t know, or would never guess about you?
I think I’m really socially awkward.
18. What movie(s) can you watch over and over and never get sick of?
Mallrats, Blades of Glory, Remember the Titans
19. I can’t leave the house without…?
Chapstick, my phone and wallet
20. What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
Lots of red velvet cupcakes with mocha frosting that I didn’t get to share at a New Year’s Eve party because I wasn’t feeling well enough to go.
21. What is your most over-used word or phrase?
Ending my sentences with “friend.” I picked it up from my captain.
22. What is the last book you’ve read?
Game of Thrones – “Clash of the Kings”
23. Very first set of wheels?
Radar narrow Flat-Outs
24. What is the biggest life hurdle that you have overcome?
Thinking things have to be the way they are. I learned we all have the power of choice and to effect change.
25. List 3 things that you plan to accomplish in 2012?
I would like:
The Unholy Rollers to win the Mad Rollin’ Dolls home team championship,
To play with the Dairyland Dolls in WFTDA’s North Central Regionals and
To work hard and have as much fun in 2012 as I did in 2011
Latest posts by BioniKate (see all)
- Off-skates Workout Bionikate Style! - July 11, 2012
- Skater On Skater: Bionikate Interviews Jewel Suffer - June 4, 2012
- Aunt Bionikate’s Guide Part Three - February 8, 2012